We’re hiring: Apply for be our new finance and administration officer (part-time)
We’re looking for a part-time finance and administration officer to improve the management of the organisation as we embark on an exciting phase of growth.
The Gecko Project is a non-profit journalism organisation that investigates the role of land use in some of the most pressing global challenges: climate change, deforestation, the collapse of biodiversity, food security, the rights of marginalised communities and the health of democracies. We harness the power of investigative journalism and storytelling to catalyse change that will protect the environment and human rights. Since the project began in 2017, our reporting has focused principally on Indonesia. We operate on a partnership model, collaborating with larger media organisations to maximise our reach and impact.
We are looking for a part-time finance and administration officer to improve the management of the organisation as we embark on an exciting phase of growth. When we reach full capacity in 2021, the successful candidate will be part of a team of six.
- Preparing budgets and financial documents for grant proposals.
- Administering payments.
- Managing expense claims, including checking receipts.
- Maintaining accounts and tracking expenditure.
- Supporting consultants/contractors with administrative processes.
- Helping to prepare financial reports for funders.
- Working with our accountants to prepare company accounts.
- Preparing budget estimates for the organisation.
- Preparing financial statements and maintaining accounts using our accounting software.
- Raising and administering invoices and payments using our finance tools.
- Developing/implementing systems to improve our administrative and finance processes.
- Managing payroll.
- Other tasks as required.
You will be an experienced finance and administration professional who is happy to work in a small organisation with an “all hands on deck” approach. Ideally, you will have a background in the not-for-profit sector and an interest in the environment, development and/or journalism though this is not essential for the position. You will be excited by the opportunity to play an important role in growing the organisation.
The role would be ideal for someone who is a self-starter and is happy to work remotely and flexibly. This is a remote position but you should be based in the UK. As an equal opportunity employer, The Gecko Project values diversity and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace.
- Experience using Xero or other accounting software.
- Good working knowledge of Excel.
- Ability to organise and prioritise own workload with good time management, using own judgement to balance conflicting priorities.
- Ability to communicate technical information clearly to a range of audiences.
- Willingness and desire to learn and improve processes.
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Capacity to handle objections and questions professionally, providing robust and rational responses.
- Commitment to proactive problem-solving, and to finding solutions rather than passing problems on to others.
What we can offer you
- A flexible working environment.
- A fixed-term, ten month contract for one day per week.
- £30,000 pro rata.
To Apply: Please send a current CV and a brief cover letter explaining why you believe you are a good fit for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Administrator Application”.
Application deadline: 12th April 2021
Start date: May 2021